Sunday, July 15, 2007

Age Discrimination in the Workplace

Have you ever been to a job interview where you were asked, "Now just how long ago did you move to New York (or whatever locale)? Or,  "Yeah, I know someone who graduated  from your college in ....year,  did you know her?"

The law prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual preferences, disabilities, and age, but it makes no difference if those who are subject to discrimination don't speak out. We have come a long way in eliminating discrimination in most of those categories. That is because people organized, lobbied, and made their grievances known. 

I am Kelly Jones. The questions that appear above were asked to me. They are not illegal. But they demonstrate a monumental insensitivity to senior workers -- the kind of comments  that would be off limits, politically incorrect, or just not permissible in polite society if directed toward other groups.

I have contacted AARP, the organization most dedicated to the causes of seniors. They don't respond. The fact that those of us on the cusp of the baby boomer generation represent the largest and wealthiest of their target audience means nothing to them . That must -- and will-- change.

I am writing to you because I know you share similar experiences to mine. It is time we put our collective efforts together.

This blog is an effort to pool our experience and to examine appropriate courses of action. Your comments are welcome, and together we can make a difference.

Kelly Jones

  

4 comments:

Boomers Want Jobs: Age Discrimination by Employers said...

Why have we not confronted this matter until now? AARP will be of no help at all!!

Jim Edelstein

Boomers Want Jobs: Age Discrimination by Employers said...

I just had a prospective employer ask me "how long do you expect to e in this job?"

Sandy J

Boomers Want Jobs: Age Discrimination by Employers said...

This is the tip of he iceberg. There is no legal remedy of any substance. This is really true if you are applying for a job.

Sherry M.

Susan Ireland said...

Thank you for this blog, Kelly. It's much needed. I get many, many questions about age discrimination on my blog, The Job Lounge (www.joblounge.blogspot.com) and I will reference you in my posts.